Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Wildly Unproductive in Areas that Matter the Least

Today I feel like I've accomplished absolutely nothing. And that's a problem because I have a ton of stuff to do. I'm four chapters away from putting a huge project to bed. I should be able to crank out a chapter today, but it's already 4:45, and it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I spent about two hours looking for a quote that I'm not sure really exists.

I think the problem stems from the way my day got started. I promised my daughter Eliza a trip to Krispy Kreme as a reward for being brave recently. Please note, I did not use this as a bribe; I offered it after the fact.

Anyway, we got a late start, and I felt like I spent my entire morning waiting, driving, sitting -- everything except writing.

Now, I'm thinking about my day -- realizing just how little I've done today. But is that accurate?

I spent time with my little girl this morning -- an event which I confess is all too rare. We enjoyed one of the true joys in life: hot Krispy Kreme with coffee (me) and milk (her).

So, let me be wildly unproductive in areas that matter the least...as long as I can spend some time with one of my kids and share a simple joy with her.