Wednesday, November 24, 2004

To See Him As He Is

Maybe it's the weather. Maybe it's the workload. Whatever it is, it's got me in a funk, and I can't seem to shake it.

I'm in a time of need right now, and I'm trying to fix myself -- pump myself up -- get myself psyched up, but it ain't working. I can't muster my gumption any more than I can pick myself up off the ground by my own shirt collar. How easily I forget that my greatest need in times of great need is to see God as he really is.

I suppose the timing is good after all. We enter this week into the season -- the one time of year when it's okay to deal with God as he really is: humble and approachable, fiery and exasperated, noble and holy. We learn from Jesus who God really is, what his heart's desire is, how he would act and what he wants from us.

Other times of the year we give thanks for the death he died. This time of year, it is entirely appropriate to give thanks for the life he lived. To see him as he is -- to come undone in his presence -- to ask him to put us back together again. That's my greatest need in times of great need.