Thursday, December 29, 2005

What's In A Name?

So, the idea has resurfaced that I should start my own non-profit ministry organization -- to help people think about the Bible and Spiritual Formation and How We Can Live In Our World in new and creative ways. This is something that people have encouraged me to do for some time, but I've always resisted because I am not interested in managing something like that. I'm at a point in my life where I'm content to just be talent. I want to think about things, show up and say my words and leave someone else to do all the other stuff. Creating content is one thing -- filling out paperwork and having board meetings and all that makes me want to run and hide.

Anyway, several people have talked to me about doing something like this -- especially in the past few months. And now I'm actually thinking about it. It would be wise to do this for a number of reasons, and I think I have people around me who are competent and willing to do most of the legwork for me. Still, I'm kind of dragging my feet.

I think part of the reason why I'm reluctant is because I can't think of a really cool name. I don't want to be John Turner Ministries. I work with really cutting edge folks with names like The reThink Group and BigStuf. John Turner Ministries sounds very -- I don't know -- 1970s. My blog is titled In His Big Grip, but I don't like that as the name of the organization, either.

So, I'm stuck. Am I making too much out of this? Does the name of the organization really make that much of a difference? Anyone have any great ideas for me?