Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Word Three: Broken

"Your kingdom is broken and taken away from you."

That's God's final word to King Belshazzar, shattering his final illusion that the circumstances of his life would be ultimately under his own control.

It's absolutely baffling to me how we can live our entire lives with the idea that we're in control of everything. Certainly, there are some things that are in my control, but most of life happens to me rather than through me. And, in the end, I know I'm going to die. I have one life, and I have no idea how long it will last. But I do know that when it's over, I'm going to be asked to give an account for what I did with it.

I have no idea how many days I have left, but when it's over I hope the words that describe my life are not these three: numbered; weighed; broken.

I guess when I look at those words, though, they do describe me to some extent. They describe each of us. We've all been numbered; we've all been weighed; we're all broken. I suppose that's why Jesus came.

Now the question becomes: What are you going to do about all this?