Friday, September 03, 2004

Episodes of Sunshine

For some reason today's forecast in the AJC struck me. It said that this morning would be mostly cloudy, and this evening would bring some more clouds. But for this afternoon, the weather people suggested that there would be "episodes of sunshine." Doesn't that sound cheery?

In the midst of evacuating Floridians and a tragic outcome in southern Russia, there were a few moments of goodness today. I spent time with Lanny, and that's always a good thing. Later, I was sitting in Starbucks and met a couple celebrating their 49th anniversary. He's a retired pastor, and she reads apologetics like nobody's business. That was good, too.

My throat tightens when I think of the parents of those kids in Russia. And I can't imagine what it must be like for folks stuck in traffic trying to get out of the path of an oncoming hurricane. We live in times that are mostly cloudy.

But we live for those episodes of sunshine, when the clouds part and the warm brightness breaks through. They don't last for very long, but they offer a ray of hope in an otherwise dusky world.

One day, the sun will come out and never go down again. Not only will there be no clouds, there will be no night. That's what I'm looking forward to.