Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Nothing But Sincerity...As Far As the Eye Can See

We watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown tonight. Anabel remembers it from last year. Eliza says she does, but I have my doubts. It's amazing to see that Charlie Brown still holds kids absolutely spellbound. I think the girls enjoyed it almost as much as Jill and I did.

The best part is when the kids are going trick or treating.

Kid #1: "I got a popcorn ball."

Kid #2: "I got a pack of gum."

Charlie Brown: "I got a rock."

Anabel laughed every single time.

But the most touching part to me -- and the part I'd forgotten about to be honest -- was Linus in the pumpkin patch pleading his case for the existence of the Great Pumpkin. Linus is the smart one -- the well-read one. It's uncharacteristic of him to be duped by this.

The most heartbreaking part is when he has a brief moment of doubt. At least, he thinks he does. He says, "If the Great Pumpkin comes, I'll still put in a good word for you. Oh, no! I said, 'If....' One slip like that could make the Great Pumpkin pass you by!"

It's a good thing Christians know the difference between God and the Great Pumpkin.