Thursday, December 02, 2004

How Much Would It Take?

And the calls keep coming in. Maybe it's a seasonal thing, but periodically I get calls and emails from people -- usually friends of mine -- who want me to move from my new comfortable house to some remote place and solve their church problems for them.

I used to think that when people come looking for me (instead of the other way around) it was a sign that God may be involved. I'm pretty sure that's bad theology.

Anyway, all of this brings up one of my favorite questions: How much would it take? Maybe that sounds crass, but it's still helpful to ask questions like this every once in a while. Sure, I might sell my beautiful house and move across the country to work work with a church. I might. And so might you...if they ponied up enough money, right?

So, how much would it take for you to move to...say Amarillo, Texas? Or St. Louis, Missouri? Vancouver, British Columbia?

What would it take to get you to stop doing what you're doing, pack up the family and move somewhere else?

Let me tell you this: I bet it will take more than they're willing to offer.