Saturday, April 30, 2005

Whew! Glad That's Over

I've been out of touch for the past few days because of the Grow Up Conference that's I've been a part of. Nearly 3,000 folks from all over the world came to rethink how they do ministry to families. Lanny Donoho and I got to spend some time together after it was all over, and he asked, "Doesn't it amaze you what we get to be a part of?"

Amazed is an understatement.

I have to keep reminding myself that this time three years ago, I was preaching to a brick wall of a church -- a place on life support that declined any attempts to revive it. I was miserable. My family was miserable. It seems like once a month I travelled somewhere to see about a new job. Life was bad.

The story of how and why we ended up here is too long for me to tell right now. Maybe another time. For now, suffice to say it is hard to believe that I got to speak to hundreds of people this week about the concepts of teaching less for more and why teaching the Bible to kids isn't enough. I got to share stories and see the great folks at KidStuf U.K. Remind me to tell you their story sometime!

It was a great experience, but I have to say: I'm glad it's over. I have a book to write and a deadline to meet. Next week, I'm headed to Pepperdine to speak on Friday and do some coaching for a church in Los Angeles.

Before I sign off from this post, let me ask you to help me with something. You might disagree with a comment someone leaves here. You might disagree with me on something I say. But let's try to be civil in our disagreements and not suggest that someone who chooses not to include Santa in their Christmas celebrations belongs in therapy because they can't distinguish between imaginary and real.

I know everyone who posted comments on the board. We're all thoughtful, educated, responsible people. Most of us are parents of young children who are trying to make difficult decisions to help our kids navigate through troubled waters. We all serve the same God and will be held individually accountable to him. One of the things I try to do on this website from time to time is get people to respond honestly to questions. That will be easier for them if they know they're not going to be ridiculed for their answers.

Whew! I'm glad that's over.