Sunday, June 26, 2005

Where Am I Today?

I'm in Gautier, Mississippi. Who knew it's pronounced go-shay?

Anyway, I'm here spending some time with my friend John Dobbs, and in a couple of hours I have the challenge of trying to explain to a group of teenagers that life is not all about them. I'll try to tell them that they're significant and that their lives have meaning and purpose and all that. But I have to be truthful and emphasize the fact that there is a much bigger story playing out around them.

Of course, as is always the case for me, this message will be filled with self-talk. I need to hear this message probably more than they do.

In life, I have a couple of options. I can choose to be the star of my own story. It's a relatively small story with a tiny budget, and I have to write, direct, produce, act and do my own hair and makeup. I'm exhausted just thinking about all that.

Or I can choose to play a supporting role in someone else's story. To be precise -- God's story. His story has no beginning and no end, it has an unlimited budget and the wrap party promises to be something we can't even begin to imagine.

The only problem is I don't get to be the star.

Of course, it's a much better movie, and -- because there's someone else writing, producing and directing this thing -- I won't run myself ragged and drive everyone around me insane.

So, the choice is mine. Do I want to star in my own little story? Or do I want to play a supporting role in the greatest story ever told?

Where am I today? I'm in Gautier, Mississippi. I'm at a crossroads. I'm the same place I am most days -- caught between wanting to be the star and wanting to experience the rest and fulfillment that God promises if only I'll turn loose of this thing called life and let him write me a part.