Monday, January 09, 2006

Shameless Self-Promotion

A lot of hype and money was generated over the idea that Christians would be able to engage their pre-Christian friends and neighbors in spiritual ways with movies like THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST or NARNIA. But what if the greatest opportunity to have meaningful conversations will be after May 19, when Ron Howard's movie version of THE DA VINCI CODE hits the big screen? It's certainly going to generate a fair amount of dialogue at the water cooler.

But are the people in your church prepared to have those conversations? Do they know how to respond when someone begins to push at the foundations of their faith in a way that honors both God and the person asking the questions?

I am terrible at self-promotion, but I have added a link on the side of the page to my book THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO THE DA VINCI CODE. Though it's not scheduled for release until May 1, you can pre-order it now from Amazon.com or from Lifeway.com or Christianbook.com. (It's a surreal experience for me to open up the Broadman & Holman catalogue that just arrived and see my picture -- page 6 if you get it). I've also added a link to the article I wrote in the fall of 2003 that kind of started my interest in Dan Brown's worldview in the first place.

I'm going to be doing a series of seminars promoting the book this spring. The plan would be for me to come into a city, do a booksigning, do a radio interview and lead a one-day seminar equipping people to respond to the challenges presented in the upcoming movie with equal parts truth and grace. If you're interested in hosting one, leave me a comment or send me an email, and we'll see if we can work something out.