Friday, October 29, 2004

Would Anyone Even Notice?

In all the excitement of the Red Sox winning their first World Series since 1918, I never even noticed that we're missing hockey season. Did you know that? I had no idea that hockey is normally being played professionally this time of year.

What does that say about the sport of hockey? What if you decided to strike, and no one even knew you were gone?

Okay, the theologian in me wants really badly to make some kind of spiritual point here. The gist of my thought is this: What if Christians decided to stop meeting together on Sunday mornings. I mean, there's all this fighting going on about what we can and can't do -- what we should and should not do. What if we just said, "To heck with it" and stopped meeting altogether?

Would anyone even notice we were gone?