Sunday, March 20, 2005

He Still Hasn't Found What He's Looking For

I'm sitting in a hotel room in Lafayette, Louisiana. I spent the better part of today helping a church figure out a better way of reaching kids and their parents with the best news ever delivered to people -- the peace on earth, goodwill to mankind news that people of real faith know about.

Right now, the television shows U2 being inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I'm going to be in Cleveland in a few weeks. You better believe that's going to be my first stop.

After all is said and done, I vote for U2 as the greatest band in history. Hal will continue to argue for the superiority of the Beatles, and I'll admit -- all that productivity and creativity coming out of those four lads from Liverpool in seven years is amazing. But when I hear Paul sing, "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" now, I'm not sure he really wants to hold my hand.

When I hear Bono sing, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," I have no doubt that he means every single word -- probably now more than when he wrote it.

Here's a guy -- this Bono -- he's got a big head. He's got a big mouth. He's got a big house and a big wallet and a big agenda that sometimes makes sense and sometimes seems ridiculously naive. But when he closes his eyes and sings, "You broke the bonds and you loosed the chains, carried the cross of my shame...of my shame. You know I believed it. But I still haven't found what I'm looking for." When he closes his eyes and sings those words you can't help but know he's telling the truth.

He has spoke with the tongue of angels. He has held the hand of a devil. And when it was warm in the night, he was cold like a stone, because he still hasn't found what he's looking for.

Maybe Bono is like that grand patriarch -- the one who was looking for a city whose builder is not flesh and bone -- that city not built with hands. And maybe he won't be satisfied until he's in that place where the streets have no name. I sure hope his journey takes at least a little while longer.