Monday, May 02, 2005

What in the World (view)?

I have an education. And I read a lot of books. I actually read text books sometimes. I know -- it's a sickness.

For the most part, I have to say that my education serves me well. I can converse on a number of topics and can go quite deep in the areas of philosophy, theology and psychology. Because of my education, I can understand things that are quite complex, and I can sometimes explain these things to other people in a helpful manner.

But sometimes my education makes me sound like I'm just spouting so much gobbledy-goop.

Moreover, I frequently can't tell when I'm doing one (explaining things to people in a helpful manner) or the other (spouting so much gobbledy-goop).

For example, if someone asked me to define a "worldview", I would say: A worldview is the lens through which you interpret all of life and the universe in which we live.

That makes perfect sense to me, but I can't tell if it will make perfect sense to anyone else. Could I get a little help here? Someone please give me a good, simple, working definition for a worldview. If you're the lucky winner, your answer is probably going in the book.