Wednesday, August 03, 2005

A Post That's Not About David -- Or Is It?

I hate to interrupt this series of posts on the life of David, but I have a few things on my mind that I want to share with you.

First of all, there's this whole job thing. Those of you who have been following the blog know that there's a mystery church out there that has been courting me. Well...mystery over: I will be speaking this Sunday at the Southlake Church outside of Dallas, Texas. We will spend a couple of days there trying to figure out if that's what God has in mind for the next season of our lives. I would appreciate your prayers for us.

But there's another church (I'm not sure if they're comfortable going public with this yet) that has been talking to me, too. In fact, I had a really interesting and uplifting conversation with them yesterday.

And in the middle of all this, FamilyWise -- an organization I do a ton of work with already -- has asked me to consider a fulltime job with them as Director of Training. That would involve doing a lot more of what I've been doing for the past couple of years -- namely, helping churches shift their thinking from children's ministry to family-based ministry.

Needless to say, there are big decisions to be made here.

One final thing: my daughter Anabel is about to start Kindergarten, and it's an adjustment for everyone. I'm upset because -- due to a scheduling and communication mixup -- I'm going to be out of town for her first day. Jill's upset because her baby is one step closer to being launched out into the world. Anabel's a little anxious -- that combination of nervous and excited.

She's being a little clingier than usual, and this morning as I sat checking my email and trying to get that first cup of coffee down, she walked over and just plopped into my lap. And this is the great thing: she stayed there. She's so big, so tall, so strong. When did that happen?

We sat there for what felt like a long time, but when it was over...I still didn't want it to end. I wanted to hold her like that all day. I think most dads experience times like that. Times when you would be content to just stay locked in the sweet embrace of a five-year-old.

When you mention the biblical character David to people, most think instantly of "David and Goliath." Some think of "David and Bathsheba." As I get older and watch my kids, I can't help but wonder about "David and Absalom." What went wrong there? I'll be exploring their relationship in a few weeks, but this morning I sat there holding Anabel and thinking about David.

Obviously, David started as a shepherd, became a musician, a warrior, a fugitive and a king. He was a liar, an adulterer and a murderer. He was a great and powerful man with several tragic flaws. And somewhere in all that, he was a dad. I don't know what his relationship was like with his kids when they were young. But it seemed to be pretty disastrous when they got older.

I sat there with my daughter, and all of this flashed through my mind.

And I caught myself asking God, "Could you please freeze time right here?"