Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Naaman

A lot of you already know the story of Naaman (it's found in 2 Kings 5). He was the commander of the Aramean armies, but he had leprosy. At some point in time, he and his wife had stolen a little girl from Israel, and she grew up in their household.

When he could no longer hide his leprosy, the little girl went to his wife and told her that there was a prophet in Israel who could heal Naaman.

This is a strange idea to say the least. How odd would it be for Naaman to go to Israel and say, "Hi, remember me? I'm the leader of the armies that come over here every spring and steal anything that's not nailed down. I was wondering if I could ask you a favor. Could you heal me? It sure would be great if you could. Then I'll go back hom and we'll pretend this never happened."

Anyway, to make a long story short, he comes to Elisha, and Elisha sends his servant out to say, "If you want to be healed, go dip yourself in the Jordan River seven times."

Naaman thinks this is a stupid idea and gets angry. He almost goes home, but his servants talk him into trying it by basically saying, "What do you have to lose?"

He goes to the Jordan River, dips into it seven times and gets healed.

You know the story. Can anyone help me figure out what it's really about? I have some ideas, but I want your input.