Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Making A List

Did any of you even watch the Mr. T debacle?

I'm making a list -- actually I'm making three lists. The first list will be Christian books. The second list will be fiction books. The third list will be miscellaneous non-fiction. I'm leaving the heavy stuff off -- no Heschel, no Schaeffer, no Adler, no Neibuhr, no Wright.

What really bums me out is that limiting it to 10 has forced me to cut some great books and authors from the list. But I'm working on a real, honest to goodness, "you can find it on Amazon.com" reading list.

I appreciate your suggestions -- some of you have prompted memories that actually landed books on the list so far (Mr. Ingle, thank you for reminding me of John Henry Toole's masterpiece). So, if any of you have any more suggestions, keep 'em coming. The list goes up Friday.

By the way, I'm leaving off a book that I'm reading right now. Probably too heavy, and I'm not sure I like it. But it has the greatest title I've ever read: Jesus the Word According to John the Sectarian: A Paleofundamentalist Manifesto for Contemporary Evangelicalism, Especially Its Elites, in North America by Robert H. Gundry.

I wonder what that pitch meeting was like.

Eerdmans representative: "So, Dr. Gundry. Tell me about your new book idea."

Robert H. Gundry: "Well, first let's get the title out of the way."