Monday, May 16, 2005

Top 10 List Part One (Fiction)

Before we get started here, let me just say this: Something is bound to get left off the list. I've left off Joseph Conrad and Tolstoy and Hemingway and Dickens and a host of others. You'll see some recurring themes. I love southern fiction. I like it when a writer can speak from a place of faith and conviction without getting preachy. There are probably too few female writers represented, it's contemporary stuff, and it's mostlly white, American/British/Canadian writers. Still here are my Top 10 Recommended Novels:

Wobegon Boy by Garrison Keillor

Brighten the Corner Where You Are by Fred Chappell

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Microserfs by Douglas Coupland

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Run With the Horsemen by Ferrol Sams

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

Okay, tell me what I missed.