Thursday, May 19, 2005

Top 10 List Part Two (Non-Fiction, Misc.)

This category is way too broad, but I couldn't think of any other way to put it. These are books that I really enjoyed. But, as you can see from even a glance at the list, they're all over the map. There are books on baseball, philosophy, baseball and philosophy, a travelogue, psychology, etc. Consider this a "catch-all" list.

Some of these are Christian in orientation -- though I'm not sure any of them are explicitly so (unless you consider Anne Lamott explicit in her Christianity -- in which case, you ought to have a conversation with my mother). Some of these titles are deep and somewhat difficult to read (Friedman). Others are drippy and sappy but hold a sentimental place in my heart (Leo Buscaglia!).

Okay, okay, I've stalled and apologized enough. Here's the list:

Men At Work: The Craft of Baseball by George F. Will

Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box by Eric Bronson (ed.)

Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl

Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Love by Leo Buscaglia

The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life by Armand Nicholi, Jr.

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell

The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America by Bill Bryson

Friedman's Fables by Edwin H. Friedman

Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott

There you have it. There all relatively recent books, and I'm sure I've left some really important pieces of literature off. Who wants to tell me what I'm missing?